Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Tool Review: Gotomypc.com

When you own a business you can never be far from your computer.  Recently I went to visit family and was considering whether or not to bring my laptop.  It was vacation after all.  Though my business partner can certainly cover me, there are files and programs on my computer that she doesn’t have on her computer or in our shared files.  I had heard about gotomypc.com and decided to research it.  Finally I decided to do a 30 day trial, and I was completely impressed.  With a simple sign-up I was able to access my actual desktop and every file and program on my laptop from a computer clear across the country.  Ease and peace of mind without having to schlep a laptop through the airport!   Their monthly prices are reasonable – about $10/month on an annual plan. 
It occurred to me recently that this may be a great solution to remotely help friends and family who are struggling with their computers.  My mom, who cannot live without her computer, but has trouble finding her way around it sometimes, often asks me how to find things on her computer.  That is somewhat difficult clear across the country.  But with gotomypc.com, I could access her computer (only with her permission and knowledge of course!) and help her with whatever she is trying to do. 
Check them out:  www.gotomypc.com

Kim Luedke is Co-owner of ProfessionalEdge Associates, offering a wide range of marketing and support services to businesses that want to increase their success, but aren't in a position to add to their staff.